Brian Clark Howard
National Geographic (Washington, DC) | Writer, Editor, Producer | Sept. 2011—Present
Award-winning website of the National Geographic Society, a multimedia scientific and educational organization. Averages about 30 million monthly unique visitors.
- Report, write, edit and produce multimedia content on a broad range of topics, especially science, environment, energy, space, geology, culture, travel and news.
- Manage blogs, social media accounts, content partnerships and branded microsites.
MailOnline.com (The Daily Mail) (New York, NY) | Online Journalist | Mar. 2011—Aug. 2011
U.S. web bureau of The Daily Mail, a major British daily newspaper, then ranked as world’s second biggest news website.
- Reported, wrote and posted daily news stories in fast-paced environment.
- Covered business, politics, science, health, environment, culture and entertainment.
The Daily Green (Hearst Corp) (New York, NY) | Web Editor | June 2007—Feb. 2011
MIN (Media Industry News) and Best of Green (TreeHugger) award-winning web magazine on eco-friendly lifestyles, averaged 1 million monthly unique visitors.
- Wrote, edited and produced some of Hearst’s most successful online content, including features, blogs, slideshows, infographics, video and other creative methods of storytelling.
- Co-published with Yahoo!, MSN, Huffington Post and AOL.
- Led brand to 11,000 Facebook fans, 20,000 Twitter followers, high social news traffic.
- Managed, edited and copyedited freelancers and interns.
- Honed reporting skills by co-writing five books on green energy and living, some of which are taught by college professors. Co-wrote a humor book for fun.
- Co-wrote Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater (Running Press 2012), Build Your Own Small Wind Power System (McGraw-Hill 2012), Green Lighting (McGraw 2011), Geothermal HVAC (McGraw 2011), The Whole Green Catalog (Rodale 2009), Green Living (Plume 2005).
Freelance Writer | 2001—Present
- Contribute to many publications, including Popular Science, TheAtlantic.com, FastCompany.com, Men’s Health, PopularMechanics.com, Pacific Standard, Huffington Post, Home Power Magazine.
- Work syndicated by the San Francisco Chronicle, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Boulder Daily Camera, Houston Chronicle.
Social Media Consultant (New York, NY) | 2007—Present
- Advise brands on how to build online communities through sites like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon and Reddit.
- Advised creative agency PSFK (New York) and their client Apple on social platforms.
- While at Hearst, led significant improvements in traffic and engagement at Popular Mechanics, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, House Beautiful, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, and Delish.com (MSN’s food site).
E/The Environmental Magazine and Emagazine.com (Norwalk, CT) | Managing Editor | Jan. 2001— Aug. 2006
America’s oldest, largest independent environmental magazine (more than 200,000 readers).
- Created multimedia content—including 8,000-word cover stories, blogs, newsletters, photos and audio.
- Copyedited and proofread each bimonthly issue; oversaw production schedule and managed contributors.
- Wrote and managed grants; represented the magazine at conferences and on TV and radio.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (New York, NY) | M.S. Journalism (2007)
- New Media concentration; Class honors: “Critical Issues in Journalism,” “Online News”
- Masters thesis in New Media on Native Americans in New York City (Honors).
Indiana University (Bloomington, IN) | B.S. Geology (2000) + B.A. Biology (2002)
- Minors: Art History, Germanic Studies, Western European Studies.
- Honors Division and Chancellor’s Scholarships, Golden Key National Honor Society and Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
- Researched avian ecology and Ordovician fossils in southern Indiana.
National Geographic Staff Geography Bee |Champion (2014) |7th Place (2013)
- Won first place in a live “spelling bee”-style geography competition hosted by Soledad O’Brien (2014) and Alex Trebek (2013).
Kevin Carmody Award for Outstanding In-Depth Reporting, Large Market | Honorable Mention | Society of Environmental Journalists (2013)
- Contributed reporting and editing to National Geographic online feature package “Water Grabbers: A Global Rush on Freshwater.”
Reuters-IUCN (World Conservation Union) Environmental Media Awards |Finalist (2003)
- Wrote E Magazine cover story “Message in a Bottle” on bottled water and the environment, which was widely reprinted and resulted in many media appearances.
- Appeared on numerous media, including NPR (Living on Earth, Here & Now), ABC News Now, AFP, Global National (Canada), Wisconsin Public Radio, Connecticut Public Radio, Tom Hartmann, Voice of Russia, Enviro Close-up.
- Interviewed by many print and web outlets, including the New York Times, the Washington Post, Arizona Republic, McClatchy, Smart Money, Reader’s Digest, MNN.
Eagle Scout | Boy Scouts of America
Highly proficient in writing, editing and producing outstanding editorial content across platforms, as well as developing content strategy. Experienced leader of teams and projects; completed management training. Highly effective in SEO and social media, especially on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and StumbleUpon. Skilled in video shooting and editing (Final Cut Pro); digital photography (Adobe Photoshop); website production (Dreamweaver, Arial newsletter software, basic HTML, various Content Management Systems including Django, WordPress, Moveable Type, Magnus, Mailonline.com, Blogger and Tumblr). Proficient in web-analytics programs including Omniture and Google Analytics. Completed two sessions of professional media training.