Brian Clark Howard
NationalGeographic.com (Washington, DC) | Editor and Producer | Sept. 2011—Present
Award-winning news and content website of the National Geographic Society, a multimedia scientific and educational org
- Report, write, edit and produce multimedia content on a broad range of topics, from news to science and energy.
- Manage content partnerships and branded microsites.
- Expert in SEO, social media, blogging, CMS, and content creation and management.
MailOnline.com (The Daily Mail) (New York, NY) | Online Journalist | March 2011—August 2011
U.S. web bureau of The Daily Mail, the major British daily newspaper, ranked as world’s second biggest news website
- Reported, wrote and posted daily news stories in fast-paced environment.
- Covered business, politics, science, health, environment, culture and entertainment.
The Daily Green (Hearst Corp) (New York, NY) | Web Editor | June 2007—February 2011
MIN and Best of Green award-winning web magazine on eco-friendly lifestyles, averaged 1 million monthly unique visitors
- Wrote, edited and produced some of Hearst’s most successful online content, including features, blogs, slideshows, infographics, video and other creative methods of storytelling.
- Developed story ideas with and work frequently syndicated by Yahoo!, MSN, Huffington Post, AOL.
- Expert in social media; led brand to 11,000 Facebook fans, 20,000 Twitter followers, high social news traffic.
- Managed, edited and copyedited freelancers and interns; represented brand in media (ABC News Now, NPR).
- Co-wrote Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater (Running Press 2012), Build Your Own Small Wind Power System (McGraw-Hill 2012), Green Lighting (McGraw 2011), Geothermal HVAC (McGraw 2011), Whole Green Catalog: 1000 Best Things for You and the Earth (Rodale 2009), Green Living (Plume 2005).
Freelance Writer | 2003—Present
- Contribute to many publications, including Popular Science, TheAtlantic.com, FastCompany.com, Men’s Health, PopularMechanics.com, Pacific Standard, Earth911.com, AlterNet, Asylum.com, Editor & Publisher, Home Power Magazine, Morning Calm (Korean Air), Connecticut Magazine, Plenty, MNN, Oceana.
Social Media Consultant (New York, NY) | 2007—Present
- Advise brands on how to build online communities through Facebook, Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon and Reddit
- Led significant improvements in traffic and engagement at Popular Mechanics, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, House Beautiful, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, Delish.com (MSN’s food site), Eco-Chick and elsewhere.
- Advised PSFK and Apple on how to use Twitter, Facebook and other social platforms more effectively.
E/The Environmental Magazine and Emagazine.com (Norwalk, CT) | Managing Editor | 2001—2006
America’s oldest, largest independent environmental magazine (more than 200,000 readers).
- Created multimedia content—including 8,000-word cover stories, blogs, newsletters, photos and audio.
- Copyedited and proofread each bimonthly issue; oversaw production schedule and managed contributors.
- Wrote and managed grants; represented the magazine at conferences and on TV and radio.
- Finalist in Reuters-IUCN (World Conservation Union) Environmental Media Awards.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (New York, NY) | M.S. Journalism (2007)
- New Media Concentration; Honors in Class: “Critical Issues in Journalism,” “Issues in Online News”
- Masters Thesis in New Media (www.nativenewyorkers.maureengoogoo.com) on Native Americans in NYC.
Indiana University (Bloomington, IN) | B.S. Geology (2000) + B.A. Biology (2002)
- Minors: Germanic Studies, Art History, Western European Studies
- Honors Division and Chancellor’s Scholarships, Golden Key National Honor Society
Highly proficient in writing, editing and producing outstanding editorial content across platforms. Skilled in video shooting, editing and Final Cut Pro; digital photography and Adobe Photoshop; website production (including Dreamweaver, Arial newsletter software, basic HTML, various Content Management Systems including WordPress, Blogspot, Tumblr, Magnus and Mailonline.com). Highly proficient in web analytic programs including Omniture reporting and Google Analytics. Highly effective in SEO and social media, especially on Facebook, Digg, Twitter and StumbleUpon.